Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cry Havoc and unleash the Dogs of War!!!

I am so done conforming! From now on my life shall be lived on my own terms. As the saying goes, I started close to home... or more accurately, at home! I love my husband but the man does occasionally tap dance on my very last nerve, if you know what I mean. He's a fabulous person, but... he is a hoarder. He has carted around the same restaurant receipts, bank statements and telephone bills to three different houses! That's junk that hasn't been chucked out for more than 5 years!!! I mean I remember the days when I could pack my entire life into 2 bags and shift enmasse. Our last shift needed 2 freaking TRUCKS!!!!!!! Granted we had furniture, but STILL?!? TWO TRUCKS???? When did we get so much junk? When did we have the time? GAAAAAAAHHHH !!!!!!

So after months of nagging had barely any effect whatsoever, I decided it was time to cry havoc and unleash the dogs of war! Translation, I went on a de-junking spree. A spree of a magnitude so deadly and so terrifying that my loving husband turned into a protective tigress when his National Geographic and Lonely Planet magazines were threatened. As a sacrifice to the fire breathing bull dozer that I had become, he gave up his TravelPlus magazine collection. A solid one foot high pile. It pleased me.... for the time being.

5 days and about 20 bags later I have discovered 5 travel bags that I had no idea existed, rediscovered 2 backpacks, have a clear desk, can get to my printer without first excavating it from beneath tonnes of junk and have a remarkable amount of space that I can now work in. the Kim is pleased. The dogs of war have been leashed and all is right with the world again.

I now plan to apply the same tactic to everything else I do. No more junk, no more baggage. If something is of no use, out it goes. That includes people who piss me off. From now on it's my opinion that matters (and that of my better half - as long as it doesn't include collecting more junk).

On the job front, I plan a drastic career shift. I've been talking to senior folk across the spectrum and I now have a plan. I shall be ruthless in the pursuit of my goals. Hell if I could study for my GMAT, apply to colleges all on my own and clear out 5 years of accumulated junk, I think I am justified in saying that I will be able to tackle pretty much anything thrown my way. All I need is a viable plan, a strategy and once the battle lines have been drawn, unleash the dogs of war! ("Dogs of war" has to be said in a very Jeremy Clarkeson manner). I've always loved dogs, especially unleashed ones. They always spice things up. From now on, I am who I am and your approval is not needed! 

1 comment:

Orgho said...

Drastic career shift, eh? Not entirely unexpected, given the tone of your last few posts, but it certainly sounds interesting! Hope you discover what it is that makes ya happy! :) And yes, do keep writing!